Most of our time during the day is spent indoors, which is fine because the air indoors is better than outside, right? Wrong. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that the air in your house is anywhere from two to five times more polluted than the air just outside your front door. Sure, there are air pollutants outside, but the wind carries them away and the air outside is rarely stagnant. When those same pollutants make their way into your home they become trapped between the walls of rooms, in carpet, in your clothing, in your bedding and because they are so small, just about any other place you can think of. These particles, whether big or small, can have lasting health repercussions on your family. They can get into your upper respiratory system, causing allergies, asthma and other problems. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to improve the indoor air quality of your home. Here are 10 steps you can begin implementing now:
- Reduce Humidity. The ideal range for humidity in your home is between 35 to 55 percent. More humid conditions are the perfect environment for dust mites and mold to flourish. If you have a dehumidifier, make sure to empty and clean its evaporator tray regularly, as well as the tray in your refrigerator and air conditioner. During and for 15 minutes after a hot shower, be sure to run the bathroom exhaust fan. To further reduce hotbeds for mold and mildew, repair any roof leaks and insulate windows and pipes to stop condensation from building up.
- Clean regularly. Dusting, vacuuming and surface cleaning on a regular basis can reduce the buildup of dust, pollen, pet dander and other particles in your home.
- Put it out. Ban smoking in your home, limit the use of candles, incense, wood burning fireplaces and other soot yielding things.
- Keep it out of the bedroom. Bedding should be washed every week in hot water to kill dust mites. Often times the comforter is overlooked, but it needs to be washed regularly as well.
- Let air in. On warm days with low pollen counts, open windows to allow fresh air to flow through your house.
- Filter out the bad. Invest in a high quality HEPA air purifier to filter out airborne pollutants. HEPA air purifiers work by filtering out particles as small as 1/25,400 of an inch. Add an activated carbon filter and you can eliminate odors and harmful VOC's.
- Check and replace filters. Fresh HEPA filters help HEPA air purifiers to work most efficiently. Follow the manufacturer's replacement schedule to keep the filters at their peak performance. Check the filters quarterly to make sure they do not need replacing.
- Don’t let pests invade your home. Pests cause a variety of health problems. Whether it is allergies to dust mites, asthma problems from cockroaches or rodent urine as an allergen, making sure pests never enter your home or are taken care of promptly will help to improve the quality of air in your home.
- Dry, dry, dry. Any excess moisture helps to breed mold and mildew so it is important to remove any water damaged carpet or other building materials if they were not completely dry within 24 hours of the damage occurring. Before putting furniture back onto the carpet, confirm that it is completely dry.
- Vent it outside. Make sure that all combustion appliances such as stoves, fireplaces, water heaters and furnaces vent to the outside and that their vents are unobstructed. Any unvented gas or kerosene heaters should only be used in well-ventilated areas. Combustion appliances should be serviced regularly according to their maintenance schedule to avoid an accumulation of dust and particles that can seep into your home.
Keeping the air you and your family breathes clean might seem like an uphill battle, but it's not. Begin implementing these ten tips today and you will see a difference in a short period of time. One of the most important ways to promote better health is by using a genuine HEPA air purifier. Does filtering out particles as small as 1/25,400 of an inch sound good? That's what we think, and that's why we only offer HEPA air purifiers. Don't let the indoor air remain stagnant in your home. It's time to take action and assure yourself that allergens, microorganisms and bacteria are being removed from the air you and your family breathes. Improve your air quality today with a genuine HEPA air purifier.
Clean Air Plus is a veteran and family owned small business. We represent the leading manufacturers in HEPA filtration including Austin Air, IQAir, Amaircare, Oransi and Airpura. Shop online or call one of our friendly experts at 888.247.1147. We'll be happy to help.