These days, everybody’s looking for ways to live as green as possible. Recycling is great, but there are many other things that you can do to help the environment – even while you sleep. By making your bedroom as eco-friendly as possible, you can help the health of the planet – and your own health, as well. It’s surprisingly easy to transform your room into one that is good for the environment. It doesn’t take a whole lot of time or money to do so. Check out our top ten tips for achieving a green bedroom by reading on below.
- Use Blankets – Using as little electricity as possible is a great way to help the health of the planet. Instead of using a high energy-consuming space heater in your bedroom, then, stock up on warm, comfy blankets instead. Nothing beats getting all bundled up in soft, high quality blankets; splurge on a nice set to make getting into bed a real treat.
- Insulate – When your home’s not well-insulated, the heat that you use can go right out the window – literally. Since you’re not paying to heat the whole neighborhood – and since you’d like to reduce your energy consumption – invest in new and improved insulation for your home. As an added bonus, you’ll enjoy lower gas and electricity bills, too.
- Use an Eco-Friendly Mattress – Sleeping on synthetic mattresses is not only bad for the environment – when you throw it away, it sits in a landfill – but it’s also bad for your health, too. Organic mattresses help you avoid breathing in chemicals and other harmful things, letting you enjoy a much safer and more relaxing night of sleep.
- Buy Organic Bedding – The benefits of the best mattress in the world can be canceled out by bedding that’s made out of scratchy, synthetic materials. Organic bedding is becoming more and more popular these days; using it is a great way to do your part to save the planet, while improving your overall health as well.
- Use CFLs – Compact fluorescent bulbs, or CFLs, are great alternatives to regular light bulbs. They last much longer and use a lot less energy than traditional light bulbs as well. It’s just one more way to reduce your overall energy consumption while helping to preserve the health of the planet as much as possible.
- Use Low-VOC Paints and Varnishes – Volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, can produce harmful off-gassing that can compromise your health. Many common paints and varnishes contain VOCs, but you can purchase products that use little or none at all, too. Make it a point to only purchase varnishes, paints and other products that have little or no VOCs in them in order to help save the planet.
- Avoid Carpeting, If Possible – Carpets are breeding grounds for dust mites and other contaminants. On top of that, many carpets are made out of synthetic fibers that contain VOCs. If you must use carpets, select ones that are made out of all natural fibers. For best results, stick with hardwood floors to avoid the issue altogether.
- Use Earth-Friendly Cleaning Products – When you clean your bedroom, only use gentle cleaning products that don’t contain VOCs or other harsh chemicals. Otherwise, you are introducing all sorts of unpleasant gases and fumes into the air of your bedroom – and into the environment at large. Insist on using pure, natural ingredients to keep your room clean and you can help the planet as well.
- Buy Used Bedroom Furniture – Reusing existing furniture is a lot better for the health of the planet than buying it new. Shop around at local consignment shops when you need a new piece of furniture; chances are, you can find something charming – and cheap – that will work wonderfully.
- Use a HEPA Air Purifier – Improving the health of the planet definitely begins at home, and maintaining your indoor air quality is a great place to start. A professional-grade HEPA air purifier, such as the Austin Air Bedroom Machine, is one of the very best ways to pull impurities from the air in your home. By breathing cleaner air, you and your family are more likely to enjoy allergy, asthma, and sinus relief and a host of other health benefits.
Buy Your HEPA Air Purifier from Clean Air Plus
Finding the right air purifier can be a daunting task. If you want a green bedroom, invest in a HEPA air purifier from Clean Air Plus.
Clean Air Plus is a veteran and family owned small business. We represent the leading manufacturers in HEPA filtration including Austin Air, IQAir, Amaircare, Oransi and Airpura. Shop online or call one of our friendly experts. We'll be happy to help.