Tips for Mold Cleanup
In recent years, extreme storms throughout North America have seemed commonplace. Most recently, these terrible weather events have hit Canada and the United States particularly hard. Hurricanes and numerous other rain-heavy events have ravaged these areas which has left many residents coping with flooded basements and extremely high humidity levels.
When such an event occurs, not all damage is obvious. Some aspects are apparent: the water, the ruined carpet and all the destroyed furniture. But there is more to it than that. Behind the scenes, mold forms. After all, these are the perfect conditions. Even after removing the standing water, moisture and humidity will continue to contribute to the mold problem.
In the event of such conditions, there are steps that you can take to prevent a long-term problem. The first is to act immediately. The faster you act, the more effective and less expensive your strategies will be.
Here are a series of tips that will make your cleanup a success:
- Avoid contaminated water and electrical shocks. Call a professional, if need be.
- Remove all standing water.
- Remove all contaminated items that you cannot dry easily.
- Use a portable air purifier with HEPA and activated carbon filtration.
- Dry the area completely.
- Maintain a relative humidity below 50 percent.
- Use an air conditioner and dehumidifier now and in the year to come.
- Inspect the entire area thoroughly for mold.
- Ensure proper ventilation.
- Use a respirator, gloves and goggles to remove the mold.
- If there is a lot of mold, seek advice from a removal specialist or health provider.
- Clean all surfaces with proven mold-killing products.
Using an air purifier year-round is good advice, and an air purifier is one of the most important steps you can take in situations where water damage has occurred. With such conditions, there can be a tremendous amount of pollution and contaminants introduced to the air. A HEPA filter removes 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns and larger. That includes all mold spores, dust, pollen, bacteria and so forth. In addition, good air purifiers, have an activated carbon component, and that aspect is able to remove volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as gases and odors.
If your home has experienced water damage, buy a portable HEPA air purifier. It will be one of the best investments for your home and health that you have ever made. Even if that damage occurred a year ago or more, traces of it can be behind walls and other surfaces emitting contamination into your air. HEPA filtration is so powerful that many asthma and allergy sufferers experience relief from their symptoms with consistent use.
- Administration Staff